Before I say anything else, I just want to reiterate that I LOVE my new job. Love it. Even though today was a half-day and I had three meetings in the 3.5 hours I was there, I did a LOT and felt appreciated for everything I did… two documents I fired out today were called, “Great” by my boss and didn’t require any additional changes or proofreading, and the copy I wrote for another project was praised by a senior copyeditor as being “perfect” since she didn’t need to make a single change to it… in tone or grammar or anything else. Then there was the general sense of well-being around the office the day before Thanksgiving and several people I’ve known for only 6 weeks or so taking the time to find me while they were on their way out to wish me a good holiday. It’s almost utopian in a very corporate way 🙂

So… I was home by 1:15 today. I started by creating the brining solution for the turkey. I boiled some vegetable stock with another cup or so of salt, some brown sugar, juniper berries, peppercorns, celery seeds, coriander, dill, and a little ginger (since Alton Brown suggested that addition.)

After that horrible-sounding but very yummy smelling concoction cooled to room temp, I added a gallon of ICE water. I got the thawed turkey from the fridge and pulled out the giblets and whatnot from inside. I also got the Official Household Turkey Bucket. This bucket exists ONLY to house the turkey for the hours it sits bringing prior to roasting.

Turkey –> into bucket. Brining solution –> poured over turkey. I placed a plastic bag over the top of the bucket to prevent any random household whatever from entering the turkey’s solution or the turkey itself. There it sits. Tomorrow morning I will flip it so it’s no longer breast-side down. At around 12:30 tomorrow afternoon, that 18 pounder is going into the oven with some apples and onions and celery shoved inside its gut. Savory. Mmmm.

THEN – it was sweet potato time. I peeled and chunked and boiled them to just under fork-tender. Then they were drained and placed into a large baking dish and I poured over the brown sugar/apple cider/cinnamon/nutmeg mixture that makes them candied. And I baked them. They’re all ready for tomorrow, sitting in the fridge. All I have to do is re-heat and life is good. I prepared string beans for steaming and broccoli rabe for sauteeing with garlic, and tomorrow is also stuffing (or dressing, since it’s not being baked inside the turkey…)

I might try to get a cheesecake baked tonight, too, but I don’t want to push it. I can read instead or watch a movie. Hrm.

Let’s do a little cultural comparison:

Original Video

Family Guy clip

That is all.

Leave a Reply